Excuses excuses… we all have them and they all sound legitimate enough to our own ears. If you’ve had a tough day at the office or with the kids you tell yourself it’s ok to skip your workout! On the other hand you may allow yourself to indulge in a feast on the account that you’ve had an exceptionally good workout. Upon reading this you may say to yourself that this doesn’t apply to you ….So what are YOUR excuses and are they legitimate ones? Read below for some common exercise beliefs and the facts behind them.
1 || “If I Work Out More I Will See Faster Results”
Sorry to break to you the sad truth but working out more may in fact take you backwards in terms of results; because you may be depriving your muscles from a chance to rest and recover. How do you know if you are over training yourself? You should monitor your resting heart rate and notice any changes, insomnia and increased illness maybe good indicators as well. The only way to see better results is to train harder and not more, and also by allowing 1-2 days of rest between workouts for the same muscle group.
2 || “I Will Start Going To The Gym After I Lose Weight”
You should do the opposite in fact, start exercising first and then begin to incorporate healthy dietary routines and habits. Combining healthy diet and exercise routines ensures you achieve your target weight faster without risking a loss of muscle mass.
3 || “I Can NOW Have That Pizza After My Workout”
Do not overestimate the amount of calories you burnt and do not underestimate what you eat. During 80 percent of your time you should aim to have high-protein, high fibre, and nutrient-rich foods, and leave the indulgence for the remaining 20 percent.
4 || “This Was Not A Good Workout If I’m Not Feeling Sore The Day After”
Muscle soreness is not a necessity after a good workout. Most often than not, muscle soreness is a sign of inadequate warm-up or cool-down. It could also be due to a lack of hydration or even nutrition. Better indicators to look for should be a drop in resting heart rate and better sleep on the days following your workout.
5 || “I Can Still Workout Even If I’m Sore”
There are different kinds of soreness so listen to your body. Working the same sore muscle might result in injury or even trigger other injuries when you’re unconsciously relying on other muscles. If you fear that sore muscles are making you skip workouts; help your muscles recover faster by doing some self-massage using a tennis ball.
6 || “The Only Way To Judge An Exercise Is By How Much You Sweat”
The amount of sweat during an exercise session varies between people, and by no means is the amount of sweat an indicator of how hard a workout is. The intensity of a workout should be measured by monitoring heart rate or by using perceived exertion.
7 || “I Only Use Machines Because They’re Safer”
Machines are great for providing balance and equilibrium… for beginners that is. You can minimise injuries that result from free weights by practicing proper form and lifting weight according to your fitness and strength levels.
8 || “I Work On Flattening My Abs By Doing 100 Crunches A Day”
The only way to burn fat in the abs is to cut down you calorie intake and increase cardio exercise. Only 10 percent of your workout should focus on abs.
9 || “I Get Right Back On Track After Taking Time Off”
You should slowly ease back into your exercise routine after being away for a while to avoid injuries. You should also decrease the amount of weight you lift by 10 or 20 percent for the first few workouts, and do about 75 percent of your usual cardio.